About Us

Course Staff

Stat 100 Course Assistants (CAs) are all former Stat 100 students who love teaching! We are all very excited to help you this semester at office hours! Stop by whenever you can! Feel free to check out all of the our bios 😊

Karle Flanagan
Instructor
Statistics and Data Science Education
stat100@illinois.edu

Hi everyone! My name is Karle and I'm the instructor this course. I've always loved math, statistics, and education. Teaching Stat 100 is the perfect job for me since I can help students from many different majors gain an appreciation for all 3.

A few other things about me: I'm a huge Illini fan- I went to school at UIUC, met my husband at UIUC, and now I work here. U of I is one of my favorite places in the world! I also enjoy spending time outside, playing piano, water skiing, snow skiing, and traveling.

Amber Dorn
Course Assistant
Speech & Hearing Science

Hi! My name is Amber Dorn and I’m a Senior studying Speech and Hearing Sciences with a minor in Disability Studies. I’m very excited to be a part of the Stat 100 team this year and help students gain a better understanding of this great subject! In my free time I like to play volleyball, watch reality TV, and spend time with my friends!

Madison Barrera
Course Assistant
Speech & Hearing Science

Hello! My name is Madison Barrera (she/her), and I'm a Senior studying Speech and Hearing Science and minoring in Psychology. I really enjoyed this class and had a lot of fun taking it! It was a very beneficial and relevant experience to help me with my other courses. More about me: I am from Chicago, I am learning to crochet, and I sometimes go for runs!

Megan Stemm
Course Assistant
Speech & Hearing Science

Hi! My name is Meg and I’m a sophomore studying Speech and Hearing Science with a double minor in Disability Studies and Psychology. I took Stat 100 my freshman year and really enjoyed the course. I love how important statistics are in the real world, and how they’re applicable to every major/career. Apart from being a CA, I’m also involved in the a cappella group Girls Next Door, NSSLHA, and the honors fraternity Phi Eta Sigma. I love music, reading, and working out. I look forward to meeting you during office hours!!

Sophie Campa
Course Assistant
Speech and Hearing Science

Hello everyone! My name is Sophie, I am a sophomore this year, and my major is Speech and Hearing Sciences. I am super excited to be a CA this year! I took Stat 100 last year and really enjoyed the class and loved how important it was to the real world. Other fun things about me, I am Varsity member on the Illini Rowing Team. I am also in Habitat for Humanity, NSSLHA, and the Outdoor Adventure Club. Can’t wait to meet everyone!

Elen Huang
Course Assistant
Food Science

Hi there! My name is Elen and I'm a sophomore majoring in food science. I took STAT 100 last semester and it was one of the funnest, most rewarding classes I've taken. This class has equipped me with the proper skills for interpreting data, which in turn has helped me make informed decisions, prioritize, and analyze daily problems in life. Needless to say, I'm so excited to work with y'all and make STAT 100 a fun, beneficial class for everyone! Some fun facts about me: I love to cook, paint, listen to music, and read. Hope to meet y'all at office hours this semester!

Allanah Martin
Course Assistant
Food Science

Hi! My name is Allanah Martin, and I am a Sophomore studying Food Science and Human Nutrition with a concentration in Human Nutrition and a minor in Chemistry. I really enjoyed taking STATS 100 because everything I've learned from this class has helped me in my other classes. In my free time I enjoy hanging out with my friends, eating Olive Garden, and watching the Simpsons. I am very excited to be a CA this semester and I am even more excited to meet everyone at office hours!

Ky Rinke
Course Assistant
Interdisciplinary Psychology

Hi everyone! My name is Ky and I am a Junior studying Interdisciplinary Psychology with minors in Spanish and Social Work. Stat 100 was one of the best classes I've taken here at UIUC, so I am excited to be a part of the course staff to help you all learn and hopefully love this course too! In my free time I love to hang out with my friends to play Nintendo Switch games or go out for coffee, work out, and listen to music!

Carly Roberts
Course Assistant
Speech & Hearing Science

Hi! My name is Carly and I am a sophomore studying speech and hearing science. I have always enjoyed math, especially Stat 100. It was one of my favorite classes I have took here! I enjoy hanging out with friends/family, shopping, and working out. I look forward to helping all of you!

Tanya Sawhney
Course Assistant
Chemistry

Hi! I’m Tanya (she/her) and I’m a sophomore majoring in chemistry. I took STAT 100 last semester and it quickly became my favorite class from freshman year. The practical applications of statistics have already become so useful outside of this course, and I’m so excited for you all to get to experience it! Some other notes about me are that I’m from Boston, spend my free time with my friends and family, and love New Girl.

Kevin Shen
Course Assistant
MCB

Hello! My name is Kevin Shen (he/him) and I’m currently a sophomore majoring in Molecular and Cellular Biology. Stat 100 was a very eye opening course, and I’m hoping to continue my experience with it as a Course Assistant (CA). Apart from Stat 100, I also work under University Housing as a Resident Advisor (RA) at Trelease Hall (FAR) and am also working as a Pre-Dental Assistant during school breaks. I hope that you’ll be able to enjoy Stat 100 as much as I did, and I’m looking forward to meeting you this semester!

Dharshini Sriramlatha
Course Assistant
Statistics and Psychology

Hi! My name is Dharshini Sriramlatha and I am a junior pursuing a double major in Statistics and Psychology with a minor in Leadership Studies. I loved taking STAT 100 as a freshman, and it made me want to go deeper within the Statistics field. I have also been teaching ESL for the past two years, sparking my interest in wanting to be a CA for this course. In my free time, I love to listen to new music and podcasts, cook food and draw. I am looking forward to meeting you all at office hours!

Alex Ishmael
Course Assistant
Psychology

Hey! My name is Alex and I'm a sophomore studying Psychology with a concentration in cognitive neuroscience. Stat100 was at first just a degree requirement, but it quickly turned into a course that was not only incredibly useful, but super engaging! I hope to apply the statistical skills I learned from this course to assist in research within neuroscience to better understand cognitive functions within the brain and find ways to treat neurodegenerative diseases. In my free time, I love to listen, play, and make music with my friends and I play guitar in a local alternative rock band. I'm super excited to meet you guys at office hours and I hope everyone has a great semester!

Abhee Jani
Course Assistant
Computer Engineering

Hi! My name is Abhee and I'm a computer engineering major. I did stat 100 to see if I'd like a stat minor and found it so interesting. It had so many useful applications to what I wanted to do in the future. This is my first year as a CA and I'm excited to help you all in office hours! Besides that I enjoy playing basketball and writing!

Jade Moranetz
Course Assistant
Kinesiology

Hey! My name is Jade, and I'm a sophomore studying Interdisciplinary Health with a minor in Business. I took Stat 100 my freshman year, and it was one of my favorite classes. I loved how I could easily connect it to the real world. More about me: I am on the Illini Rowing team and in Phi Eta Sigma Honors College. I also like to read, listen to music, and hang out with family & friends!

Alex Vulich
Course Assistant
Accounting

Hi! My name is Alex Vulich and I am a sophomore majoring in accounting with a minor in legal studies. I took STAT 100 last semester and really enjoyed the class and the concepts taught in it, so I am excited to be a CA this semester! In my free time I enjoy working out, reading, and hanging out with my friends. I can't wait to help all of you in this class!